Blessed to be sharing the Gospel with the people of Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota. Grateful for my Heavenly Father, His son Jesus Christ, a wonderful family and amazing friends.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Joy in the Journey!
Sister Robertson and I getting blown away!
So sometimes I look back to like a year ago and I realize...I knew absolutely nothing about a mission. Haha and I don't think you can ever really understand what on earth a mission is like until you go! Jakey and Abby and Dad, you'd probably agree. But my heavens it is hard, and wonderful, in every single way! Sometimes I wake up and still can't believe I am in Nebraska...of all the places. I am so grateful that the Lord has far greater plans than I do...I couldn't love this place and these people more. 

I hope y'all are enjoying Disneyland for like the 10th time this year! I swear it's like I leave and y'all go to Disneyland to celebrate. And then you go again and again! Haha or better yet, you decide to plan this killer trip to Peru and don't even tell me about it! (JABBY!) Rude. 
Haha but it's OK. I have corn fields... and cows. And I am so happy here :) 

So I brought Grandpa Bengtzen's history with me on my mission and I must admit it has been my saving grace the last couple of days. Reading through his journal entries from his mission is one of the coolest things, because I feel like I can relate to him, and in a weird way I feel like I know him, and that I am experiencing all of his experiences with him...just a few years later. Anyway, this week I was reading it and I swear I could have copied and pasted his words into my own journal for the day! He said something along the lines of..."We spent the day having doors slammed in our face, but days like that make no difference to a missionary." Haha so I suppose you could say it was a rough week. Lots of rejection, and sad moments, but at the same time it was an incredible week, full of a lot of love and a lot of reassurance from the Savior. A mission is a roller coaster to say the least. But there's so much joy in the journey. 

Miracles: 

I found a guitar!

I went on my first exchange this week and I thought I was going to die! Haha poor Sister Robertson. I was so nervous. But she is the most incredible missionary and she spent the entire day teaching me! It was the windiest day of my life, and I could have sworn I was going to be blown away! But we survived. Anyway, we were able to see one of our recent converts named Mariah and just before the lesson Sister Robertson turned to me and told me she felt like we should talk about divine nature and the potential she has as a daughter of God. So we scratched the lesson plan and we followed the spirit! It was the most amazing lesson, exactly what Mariah needed, and she recognized it! But more than that, it was INCREDIBLE to see Sister Robertson recognize the spirit and follow its promptings, even though she didn't know anything about Mariah or her situation. The spirit truly is the teacher, and no matter who we are or where we are, when we are in the Lord's service, and when we are worthy, we can receive revelation to help His children. 




Ok and here's a miracle that literally occurred 10 minutes ago. We are currently sitting here in the Kearney library, and a man just walked up to us out of nowhere. He told us his name and that he needs help with his family history! He said he recognized  that we were from the church because of the light we carried with us, and he asked for the church address and our number. How sweet is that! It's cool that the Lord can use us as an instrument in His hands, even at the most unlikely times. 


Funnies: 

One of our members gave us this killer referral the other day, so right when we left their house we skipped lunch and went to try them! The member told us, and I quote, "The husband is super interested, but his wife is pretty comfortable in her faith. She's sweet though! She won't kick you out." We knocked once on the door and the wife answered. She looked at us, then at our name tags, then slammed the door in our face. Hahahahaha. I guess the member was right...she didn't kick us out, she didn't even let us in! 

Oh and then as we were walking away there was this guy on the street and Sister Church said hello! (In her bubbly and happy way) The man looked straight at us and turned around and began walking the other way. Sister Church and I looked at each other and just busted up laughing! Haha people are my favorite! 


Spiritual Thought: 

I think all of us have weeks where our faith is tested. Where we question, where we worry, where we doubt. We are human! So it happens. And I think sometimes our tests of faith come in seeing some of the most elect leave the church, or in seeing great persecutions and contentions rise against the church. I know that there have been times, even just this week, where my faith has been tested in those exact ways...but I read a quote the other day that gave me great comfort and reminded me whose church this really is.

 "Please know that even though great storms of wind and waves beat upon the old ship (Zion), the Savior is on board and is able to rebuke the storm with His command 'Peace, be still.' Until then we must not fear, and we must have unwavering faith and know that 'even the wind and the sea obey him'." - Elder M. Russell Ballard 

This really is the Savior's church. The only true and living church on the face of the whole earth! And persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, and armies may assemble against it, but the truth will go forth. He will not forsake His church. He will not forsake us. And I know that with ever fiber of my soul. How lucky we are to be a part of His kingdom on earth. 

I love you all and I am so grateful for the truth of eternal families! 
I had to speak last minute on Sunday and I got to talk all about my INCREDIBLE family for 25 minutes straight. And I could not have been happier to do so. Know that you are my greatest blessings!! (Even though you go to Disneyland and Peru without me...) 

LOVE YOU!!!! 

xoxo, 

Sister Bengtzen 

No comments:

Post a Comment