Blessed to be sharing the Gospel with the people of Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota. Grateful for my Heavenly Father, His son Jesus Christ, a wonderful family and amazing friends.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

DANG IT!
Hello to my favorites!
I'm glad you are all busy because that is how it should be! Sometimes I sit here emailing and think to myself "Am I really on a mission right now?" Haha so it's funny to hear that things are just still going on back at home! I am glad life hasn't changed :) 
I hope Grandma and Grandpa and Grandma are also doing well! Give them my love!
This week has been up and down... but we have seen miracles, and the Lord is definitely here with us every moment of every day!

Miracles:
Ok...two words. CALVIN KONG. We were going to see a less active on Tuesday and this Asian young man walked out onto his porch and I eagerly ran up to talk to him...because I mean he is Chinese! Who wouldn't wanna chat with him?! Anyway...he took one look at me and was like "are you from the church?" And I was like "Yes I am a missionary! I have a message for you!" And then he was like "I am looking for a church!" But he was in a rush so I got his information down and then set up a return appointment. (I found out later that when I told him I was a missionary he thought I said military so when I got his information he thought the military was trying to track him down. Oops.) So! We went back to meet with him and oh my heavens he is the most prepared soul I have ever met! He kept telling us that he knew God must be real because he sent the missionaries to him. We taught him the Restoration very simply and he loved it. He asked great questions, and asked us to teach him all of the lessons right then and there. We told him that that would take time, but that he could come to church with us on Sunday and we could start learning more there. He was THRILLED. He downloaded the gospel library app in Chinese and even asked if he could practice praying with us right then and there. We invited him to read Alma 32 and pray to know if the church was true of course and then went on our way. He came to church and after he told us he received an answer! Galatians 5:22-23 He felt peace and joy and temperance and all that jazz at church! He said it must be from God! Then on the car ride home he told us he searched on the internet to see if there was an LDS church in mainland China. He said there wasn't, but that he thinks he could be the one to bring the truth and build a church there. Like what?! I was in literal shock. "I will build dis church in mainland China...is that too ambitious? Anything is possible with the help of the God." Calvin Kong...the man that is going to save China. Haha who knew?? But what hit me so hard is what he said about prayer. We asked how he felt after praying and he said it was like he had a best friend to tell all of his problems to, that finally all of those feelings were no longer bottled up inside, but that someone was finally listening. The simplicity in that idea astonished me. Here is someone who has never known about God, but has found such peace and relief in speaking to him. How much do I take my prayers for granted?
Calvin Kong, investigator from China.
In other news Phoebe and Tim will be coming home this week so their baptism will finally be on Saturday! The whole ward is getting excited, and Phoebe is simply thrilled. No smoking, no coffee for over a month, and no desires to deviate from that course what so ever! She texted us a remarkable scripture this week out of the blue and just how it had brought her comfort while she was struggling. I learn so much more from her than I could ever teach her. She is amazing! We texted her to remind her about going to church yesterday and she just responded, "well yeah! Gotta go to church to keep the faith! We already went last Sunday and have the time and place to gather with the Saints tomorrow." Haha my goodness I cannot wait for her to come home. I miss her! And I cannot wait for her and Tim to be baptized. This church is so true!

Sharyce got really sick, so we couldn't take her to the temple...:( But we are going in just a few weeks! So not to worry! She will get there, and she is still so excited!
 Sharyce's kids with new backpacks

Also we got the chance to go to the temple this week for a session and it was wonderful. I cannot even put it into words. But we are so blessed to have the House of the Lord on earth, for all the blessings that the temple permits! I am so grateful to be serving somewhere where a temple is so close.
President Gardner, Sabrina and Sister Smith
Funnies:
So we accidentally taught Calvin the word "dang it" and he loves to use it. "Dis church is true, dang it!" "I will pray, dang it!" Haha in all honesty it's quite funny....and I do not regret it at all.
Also this Sudanese lady told me I was white as a ghost yesterday...so that was a confidence booster for sure. Hahahahaha

Spiritual thought:
I was reading in the gospels while studying the other day and came upon Mark 5:36. "Be not afraid, only believe." Those 5 simple words hit me so hard. I think sometimes it is so easy to be afraid, to worry about what the future holds, to worry about what we must face, to be afraid of others and what they might say, etc. but the Lord asks us simply to believe. Believe, believe, believe. When we believe and trust in God then we do not have to worry. We do not have to face the future with uncertainty. We can know simply that everything will be done in his time and according to his will....and the best part is that he wants us to be HAPPY. The purpose of this life is for us to have joy. So when we believe and when we trust him we will be happier than we can even imagine. I know this isn't anything new, or anything real deep, but sometimes the most simple truths of the gospel are what stick with me and hit me hardest, so I hope this does the same for someone else.

Have a great week, love you all.
Sabrina

OH! And we had dinner with a less active Cambodian family tonight! Ahh it was so delicious!!!! So here is a picture with them. They had the Olympics on in the background the entire time we were eating...so that was the most distracting thing of my entire life. Hope the USA is doing well! LOL.


No comments:

Post a Comment