Blessed to be sharing the Gospel with the people of Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota. Grateful for my Heavenly Father, His son Jesus Christ, a wonderful family and amazing friends.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Borrowing bathrooms and basketball

Hello to my favorite humans! I hope this week has been wonderful for all of you, and that you guys know how much I am praying for you! You truly are what keeps me going...

Miracles: 

Ok, so the less active we are working with, Phyllis, came to church yesterday! Woo hoo! And as soon as she walked in she eagerly searched out the bishop so that she could get a tithing slip. She looked me right in the eye and said "I'm gonna pay my tithing because I want to, not because I have to!" Haha she is so wonderful, and so excited to be coming back to church! As we sat on the pew with her she read the announcements in the program and about jumped out of her seat when she saw there was a ward Trunk or Treat coming up. She shoved the program in my face and said "We must invite Richard!!!" Her husband, Richard, who isn't a member, LOVES cars. He has this old car that he fixed up and takes to car shows every once in a while, and he even bought Halloween decorations for it this year! She was so excited to tell him about it so that he could come and meet members! And show off his cool car. So let's pray that he will come and that his heart will continue to be softened. He is such a good man, and I know that this gospel could bless him and it could bless his marriage! He will get there...I know it. 

Also this week we were helping one of the islanders in our ward do some service and one of our long lost former investigators walked in! Haha it was such a miracle! Sister Rook and I bolted to the door before he had even taken off his shoes and scheduled an appointment to meet with him. So we will be seeing him on Thursday morning! His name is Sammi and he is awesome. 

Oh and before I forget, Pueleen has been out of town for a little bit, but we are going to see her this Tuesday, and we are going to read the Book of Mormon with her! So we are excited about that.  

Also as for Kelly and Dave, Tim, Kelly's husband came home this week and she is just overjoyed! We are going to go meet him sometime this week and invite all of them to come to church with us on Sunday. I know the Lord has a plan for them, I just have to trust in his timing! Which sometimes can be really hard! 
Our version of Chicken and Waffles 


Funnies:

So I had to go the bathroom so bad this week, and we were far from our apartment, so we decided to stop at this member's home. Well I have never met said member, but when we knocked on the door this lady answered and I just assumed it was her. I sorta invited myself in because it was an emergency! Haha and I left Sister Rook in the front room to explain the situation. Well all is well, we say thank you, and we get back in the car. As soon as we close the door Sister Rook starts busting up laughing and I ask her what the heavens is so funny?! Well turns out they were not members and apparently the member family that used to live there moved. So I totally used some RANDOM human's bathroom. Sister Rook tried to share the gospel with them, haha but they were NOT interested. Very nice though! Kindof a creative and funny way to plant a seed...someday they will remember those two strange sisters that came to their home and asked to use the restroom, and they will know the church is true! Haha 

Also, we were driving by this park this week and we saw some man playing basketball! So I pulled over and thinking I was pretty athletic and accomplished I asked if I could take a shot. The guy was like, "I am NOT interested in your message, I have heard it before, and I don't want to hear it again. But if you make a free throw we'll say a prayer with you." Well I had just swished a stellar 3 pointer and so I was like no problem, I got this! I went up to the line, put my game face on, reset my feet, did my signature routine...and missed. Hahaha needless to say I was humbled and the guy laughed. We didn't end up teaching him anything, but I think we planted another seed! Someday he will also come to know the truth. 


On a spiritual note...

It's incredible how simple experiences can turn out to be profound turning points in the mission, in life, or in our eternal salvation I suppose. 

In Alma 37:6-7 it reads "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass...and the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes..." I have read this scripture probably hundreds of times, but this week those two short verses moved from my head to my heart. 

I have had trouble sleeping for about three weeks and on Friday I decided to take a different course of action and ask a member for a priesthood blessing. I opened up to him and asked for his assistance in pleading to my Father in Heaven for help and for peace. It was one of the most simple and powerful blessings I have ever received. It talked about the Atonement and promised me that if I had faith then I would be helped immediately, and gain a further understanding of what my Savior really did for me. Over the course of the past three days my perspective on the Atonement has deepened. In my studies yesterday I found myself weeping with gratitude for the love that my older brother has for me, and the fact that he understands the smallest of things...even the fact that I can't sleep. As I sat at my desk I was overwhelmed by the assurance that He was there with me, and that He knew me...and I knew Him. It was like someone flipped on a light switch and instantaneously my desires changed. My repentance has been more sincere, my love for investigators and strangers has grown, and my desire to testify to everyone of Christ has increased ten-fold. Plus I have slept better these past three days than I have in weeks! Something that seemed so small and simple in the moment has brought about a great change in me, and I am grateful for the power of the Priesthood and the patience my Father in Heaven has with me. 

I know that sometimes things are overwhelming and hard, but I promise that our Savior understands. I know that He is there to help us with the big things, but he is never hesitant to help us with even the littlest of things, as long as we are willing to take his hand. We don't have to endure anything we face alone, because He...already has. 

LOVE YOU ALL! 

- Sister Bengtzen 

No comments:

Post a Comment